Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Elder Dewey transferring to the most CONTAMINATED SPOT on the planet...can you picture Elder Dewey bald?

Missionaires traveling in Kazashkstan
(pictures from McEvoy's blog...thanks McEvoy's!)


Dear Family and Friends,
Happy New Year! I hope everyone enjoyed the holiday season. New Year’s is Russia’s “Big” celebration.
Along with the beginnings of a new year comes new changes; one being that I am transferring to “Chely”, this is short for Chelyabinsk…it is easier just to say Chely. The little information I know is that it is the most highly contaminated place on earth…NO JOKE! Rumor has it that the missionaries that serve there go home BALD…not that I have much hair on my head anyway! BUT HEY, they have a McDONALD'S, so baldness doesn’t sound so bad...just give me that BIG MAC! The sacrifices that missionaries make! I’ve always said I will go and serve anywhere… I guess I am being put to the test! In all seriousness, I’ve heard great things about the area and I am looking forward to serving in ChelyMcDonald's here I come!

This past week has been a bit hectic. Here is a rundown;
Monday – (P-Day) we did our norm – emailed home, watched the movie “Finding Never Land”, it was a tearjerker, but I managed to hold it in. We made some GREAT BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA! We met with Roman, an awesome member here in Kurgon.
Tuesday – We had English and then got our area ready to be whitewashed…meaning – Elder Otis is going home and I am transferring to Chely, so there will be two brand new elders replacing us. It’s hard leaving, but I knew it was going to happen eventually because I’ve been here for a while and knew my time was drawing near. It’s hard to leave these great people and the sister missionaries who have been awesome to work with.
Wednesday – We had our last district meeting, which was hard, but we were able to enjoy a great salad that Sister K prepared for us. We had a branch party for New Years, which seemed to be more like an American Christmas party. It seems so strange that Russia’s Santa comes on New Year’s.
Thursday – I had my last English class, which was a small class, but still a lot of fun. Koyla and Kristina showed up. Koyla is a member here in Kurgon and is so cool! He gave me some great music that I am going to be sending home. Kristina has been coming out to English since the beginning of time.
Friday, we had a few meetings.
Saturday – we had a sport activity, where we rented a sports hall and played soccer, football, and basketball. Right before our sports activity we had gone to the train station to buy tickets and the dang atm ate my card! It bummed me out, but oh well…stuff happens.
Sunday – I bore my testimony, it was a great meeting. After I bore my testimony, I took a few moments and reflected back on when I first arrived here in Kurgon and all the amazing progress that the branch has made, it is cool to see progress happen! I’ve also made progress as well. Over the past few months I have progressed with the language, culture, visa trips, serving with different companions, and being a district leader. I will always look back on Kurgon with great memories and a great love for the people here. Later Sunday evening we took the train to Ekat and arrived around 1:00 am and slept for a couple of hours. We woke up around 3:00 am to take a nice brisk walk in negative 4ish weather to President’s to take Elder Otis and Elder Sheppard to the airport to send them HOME! We came home and slept until 9: oo and I am now in the office emailing you.
Well, that’s it for this week. I’m not sure exactly when I will be headed to Chely because Elder A, my new comp, is on his visa trip, so I will be here in Ekat until then.

I hope you all have a wonderful week.
Elder Chad M. Dewey

1 comment:

W said...

Looks like our boys crossed paths. West (Elder Holden) left Chily-- The Most Contaminated Spot on the Planet and is now in Yekat working in the office. From the latest pictures he still appears to have hair, although the cut looks a bit rough. Hope Elder Dewey stays warm and healthy!